Sunday 15 June 2014

Written In My Own Heart's Blood Review - NO SPOILERS!


I finished reading Diana Gabaldon's latest book the other day and can honestly say that it's the best in the series so far! I'm not just saying that because I've been waiting in anticipation for it for four years but because everything about it is so well written and well planned out.  I absolutely loved Cross Stitch (Outlander) but with twenty odd years down the line if Diana had been as experienced then as she is now I imagine the book would have been outstanding!  Her writing ability has improved by leaps and bounds since she started as an author and as Cross Stitch was an amazing book that's saying a lot about Written in My Own Heart's Blood

From the moment I started reading I was once again in the "Outlander World" with little or no adjustments needed. It was as if I'd never left and I loved it so much I stayed up until 3am on the 10th before realizing I'd read the same line three times.  After the release of Echo in the Bone there was a lot of griping from fans who didn't like the way the book ended on multiple cliffhangers, personally I didn't mind but I did feel that Written In My Own Heart's Blood was a much more satisfactory ending and won't leave fans quite as upset and it's predesessor. 

In true Gabaldon style the book was a mixture of every emotion known to man and was exciting, humerous and emotional in equal measures. I'm not the kind of person who cries when reading books but I found myself with tears in my eyes on three separate occassions. Leaving me both emotional and excited whilst reaching for the biscuits tin as a way to deal with the stress. In fact there are numerous points in the book when I had to put my Kindle down and pace to calm myself down and pass the kitchen for comfort food. (No I'm not blamind Diana for me putting weight on!). 

Everyone I've spoken to absolutely loves the book and there is little wonder because it reaches the parts that other books can't possibly reach! I would love to discuss the ins and outs of the plot and the wonderful characterizations but as the book as only been released for a few days it's unfair to spoil anything for Outlander fans who haven't been able to read it yet!   Don't delay though because you are truly missing a great piece of fiction! 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Her last book was outstanding!! It was so well written! As soon as I started reading it, I was right back into the lives of Jamie and Claire, even after a 4-year lapse! Well done, Diana! I have always commented in awe as to how she can keep the story going for 8 huge booksand it is still so interesting that once you start, you don't want to put the book down!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit slow here. I've yet to catch up with the last two books. Thanks for not spoiling them for me. The TV series inspired me to reread all but Dragonfly In Amber again up to (and including) "The Fiery Cross". I made myself sick years ago reading Dragonfly In Amber. Couldn't put it down and was having dizzy spells towards the end!