Monday 23 May 2011

Malva ... I mean Morven Christie as Jenny Murray

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Jenny Murray as a character anymore. I liked her just fine when reading the first few books but I just get the impression that she resents not being in charge of Jamie's life and would much prefer him to be at her beck and call. I can't blame her for getting angry when Jamie "stole" Ian off the the America's but she had already fell out of favour by that time as far as I was concerned. It does seem a tad disloyal admitting that I don't like Jamie's sister but I have to be honest about it.  I'm sure we are going to see a lot more of her in book 8 and hopefully she can begin to gain my trust again.  

Not only is actress Morven Christie only 5'4" (a rare occurrance compared to most actresses) but she is ..... wait for it ... SCOTTISH! If I'm honest her accent isn't perfect as she is from Glasgow but it's near enough. The very fact that her name is almost the same as Malva Christie isn't lost on me either! She is no stranger to period drama after playing Jane Bennett in the TV drama "Lost in Austin" (well worth watching!)  and personally I think she has a certain "quality" about her which will make her sticking her hand up her brother's kilt and grabbing hold perfectly acceptable! What do you think?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your choice and I too, am a wee bit disenchanted with Jenny. It seemed that she took on a shrewish quality in the later beeoks, She did have to eat crow (rightfully so) in the last book though *insert evil grin here*

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I agree with you and think this is a good choice. I too am not all that happy with Jenny. I'm listening to Echo right now (I've already read it in print, so this is a re-read). Ever since her betrayal to Claire in Voyager I've been disgruntled with her. Like you, I'm hoping I'll like her again in book 8, for I really did like her a lot in the early books.

Also, I want to let you know how much I love your blog! I think your casting choices are right on! I used to make a lot of icons for Outlander at LiveJournal (I have a group there that I started called outlandishicons although it's been defunct now for a long time). I made Outlander based icons using characters from other movies and fitting them into Outlander characters. If I were still making icons (it's been a few years now since I was actively making them) I would definitely be using your ideas for icons. But, alas, I've moved onto other things, but I'm enjoying your posts tremendously, keep up the great work!

Juliazun said...

Hold it!! This woman played Jane Bennet in Lost in Austin?? I've watched that thing at least five times (I've got the DVD) and from the pic you posted, there's no way I would have recognized her! I would never have known she was Scottish either....I thought her English accent was very good. So she could probably approximate a Highland brogue, don't you think?